Tuesday, August 16, 2011

It's story time.

Once upon a time I did gymnastics.  I was fearless, loved the adrenaline, and enjoyed being able to do things that most people can only dream of doing. It made me happy, muscular, and confident. Being a cheerleader had crossed my mind a few times, as it probably does in most little girls lives, but I also played basketball and volleyball so I  kept my options open. In grade 5 we moved away. I stuck with basketball until grade 7 and volleyball until grade 8. High School was in view. I was scared and didn't know what I should do. Then I was told  that the High School Cheerleading program was completely changing..


Long story short- I tried out. I made it. I loved it. I did it again the next year. Cheerleading was my life and the cheerleaders were my family. We woke up at 5 am every morning to go to practice and attended every Football game, Girls&Boys Basketball game, Volleyball, and Wrestling Tournament. It got tough sometimes, but I loved it. Well, one day we were stunting at practice in early September. We threw our flyer in the air and something went wrong. I ended up being the only one to catch her which caused my shoulder to dislocate. I popped it back into place and sucked it up and continued stunting. A few weeks went by and my shoulder was popping out of place and 'sliding' out when we were cheering. So,  I finally told my coach and my parents and went to a physical therapist. Bad news: Shoulders are not supposed to do that. I tore my bicep tendon. I would no longer be able to cheer and I would most likely get surgery. Devastation. I cried and balled and cried on and off for months. I still went to every single practice and game but could no longer do what I loved. Here's another thing- I tend to pass out when there are needles or things that go on with my body that I can't control..so when I went to get an MRI and has a 6inch needle jabbed into my flesh and muscles...they wheeled me out in a wheel chair. Continuing on. Good news: I did not have to get surgery due to the fact that the tear in my bicep was not that big and my rotators cuff was bruised.

Eventually my shoulder began to feel better to that point that when  February came I started cheering again...March came and I went to competition. It was absolutely great. And I was looking forward to next year when I could cheer and cheer and cheer. Then, in Spanish class we were arm wrestling to see who the strongest girl was. I was not backing down from this challenge. If I can throw hundred pound girls in the air I can definitely beat anyone in arm wrestling. Let's just say my shoulder was not completely healed and I popped it out again. The next day in Lifetime Sports class I was showing everyone how I can do a back handspring..It popped out again. I stopped doing those things and just started running because obviously that was the only thing I can do...well as of today? I feel as though my shoulder is starting right back to the beginning. It could be worse, but it still blows.

No comments:

Post a Comment