Thursday, December 6, 2012

To: My 30 year-old-self.

Dear future me,
I hope you are happy.
And I don't mean story-book fairy-tale happy, but I mean truly happy.

I hope you still rely on your Heavenly Father for everything and aren't afraid to share the gospel with others.
You went through a lot during your teenage years and have so many different experiences that you need to tell people.
Help them, enlighten them, give people the hope that you found through all of these.
They were given to you for a reason.

I hope you have found an incredible husband that makes you feel like you're a princess.
I hope he is exactly what you wanted and needed.
A guy who was worthy to take you to the temple and someone who will make you happy for the rest of your life.
A guy who is adventurous and laughs with you.
A guy who makes you feel safe and comfort and holds the Priesthood.
A guy who loves sports and wears nice shoes.
I hope you kiss each other every day.
Dance in the kitchen, hold hands as often as possible, and take care of each other.

I hope you and your sisters are best friends.
I know they were sometimes overwhelmingly irritating growing up, but I bet things are different now.
Call them often...but not as often as mom and her sisters called each other,which was hourly. Jokes.
I hope you guys are just like they were.
Be there for them even when it is hard.
Listen to them and love them like you always have.
They are 3 of your most favorite girls on this entire planet.
I hope you still keep in touch with all of your aunts.
They were a huge influence on you growing up, never ever ever ever stop being close with them.
Call mom and dad a lot too.
They were pretty cool.
No, they were the best and you owe them so much.
Visit them and always have them be a huge part of your every day life.

I hope you still hold onto some of the friendships you made in high school.
Even if it just means random text messages when you remember inside jokes or come across something that makes you think of them.
Just to name a few...Hailey, Becca, Morgan, Whitney, Mandi, Aubrie, Gentry, Kambrie, Jess, Kourtney.
They all impacted your life in incredible ways and the friendships were great ones.
I also hope you still go through all your old journals and laugh at yourself and cry with yourself.
I hope you still love One Direction and turn on their albums every once and a while and your obsessed-17-year-old-fan-girl self comes back.

I hope by now you've also had the opportunity to be a mom.
I hope you love it.
I know that pregnancy has always freaked you out...but I hope it was worth it.
Remember what it was like to be a kid.
Let them play with your hair even if you spent hours doing it.
Let them run around the house and scream and just let it be.
When they make mistakes, stand by them and help them through it like your mom did.
Talk to your kids and let them be who they are.
Read them Harry Potter and teach your daughters to appreciate glitter and your sons to appreciate sports.
Help them to develop their talents and never let them forget that you love them.

Remember to not over think things and to be selfless.
Remember to always take time to do things for yourself.
Read, write, paint, travel.
Do all the things you've always wanted to do.
Because this is life, and life is supposed to be happy.
So make it that way.

xoxo,
17-year-old Bailey

1 comment: